2012/10/15

App Scams!!!!



Yesterday, I got a whatsapp surprise message from a unknown number.  A link with my phone number was send to me. And it said I'll lose my chance after 30 minutes. I was excited for a second as the link looks very real. But before I click the link, I googled "Whatsapp surprise", and it turns out to be a scam.
There are more and more App scams recently. I saw a news on Weibo the other day. It was about a scam of WeChat. The bad guys hacking the WeChat accounts, especially from overseas students. And they pretend to be the students and try to get some money from the student's parents and. The case in the news was an Australia  overseas student named Benjamin. His WeChat account was stolen and used by the hacker. The hacker told Benjamin's mother that he needed 30,000 RMB (about 4600 AUD) for an extra language course. When his mother try to use voice message, he claimed that it was too noisy around him that he couldn't hear and talk. And ask the mother use text message. Luckily, Benjamin's mother didn't fell for that and get in touch with Benjamin at last. But there were several cases that some parents was worried and transfer the money to the hacker's bank account which they claimed as university's account.
Please be careful and tell your parents and friends that if you need money, you would call them instead of just send them text message and ask for money. Sometimes parents would be very worried when their children are overseas and in trouble. When they couldn't reach them, they might believe many things they wouldn't normally. So be aware and keep in touch with your parents!
What do you think about this kind of scams?

No comments:

Post a Comment